Sunday, June 28, 2009

Baby, I got your name tattooed my...

...necklace!

This is another outfit I've had sitting in my "to be posted" folder for a while. But it might as well be today... with the economically and environmentally wasteful overuse of air conditioning everywhere, I still find myself leaning toward my cold-weather staples if I'm not going to be outside for long. So frustrating.

But on to a peppier topic... this necklace was custom-made by Etsy artist/craftsperson orangeyredink just before my wardrobe-shopping hiatus began. My husband and I have been joking about getting name tattoos when our 10-year wedding anniversary rolls around next year, so I couldn't resist placing an order when I saw something similar on Super Kawaii Mama's blog. I didn't tell him about it, but "just happened to be wearing it" one day, and waited to see how long it would take him to notice. It took a while. Men!

But speaking of men... I wore it on a recent trip to Home Depot, and a number of guys there said it was awesome, cool, or "sweet." In a dudely way, of course. Yah, builder dudes complimented me on my jewelry... you done good, orangeyredink!

It's hand-painted on laser-cut plastic. She has a number of basic designs that you can have customized with your own text, as she did for me, or she'll work with you on your own custom design. She included a thoughtful note in the box, saying she was so happy with how it came out that she was going to use photos of it in her Etsy store. I can't even begin to explain how warm and fuzzy this made me feel.

Jacket: H&M, overdyed by me.
Dress: Payhalf.
Necklace: Etsy, by orangeyredink.
Earrings: gift from husband, from a little shop on Olvera Street in L.A.
Sparkly flower ring: Mandee.
Bracelet: Claire's.
Thigh-high socks: a hole-in-the wall shop in the subway.
Boots: Apepazza.

14 comments:

  1. I love your outfit and that necklace is fab! You know you're on to a winner when builders notice and compliment you on your jewellery!!
    That dress looks so super comfy and looks great with the jacket and those socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous necklace, so unique!
    And what a nice and pretty dress, I like the way you paired it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that dress and that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that husbands always take a while to 'notice' things. But it sounds like you were quite the hit at Home Depot.

    I'm in love with your jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your comment on MADE. totally mad me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool necklace :). It's such a nice idea. I also like the rest of the look. Cute jacket and tights ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow i thought it was a tattoo at first. I love your orange jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that necklace, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie, I'm totally traumatized that you want to show all your blog entries to your kids but may not have backed them up?

    If not, please, please, please go and do it right this second. It would be awful to lose your stuff. I notice you're on Blogger too so I'm going to be very bossy and tell you how to do it:

    Go to your Dashboard and choose the Settings tab and make sure it's on Basic settings. Right at the top, pick Export Blog and then hit Download Blog. Save the file somewhere you can find.

    Oh yeah, and you should later try to access that file and make sure you can get into it (backups are pretty useless otherwise!).

    I would so hate for your future kids to miss out...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, the next time I want a guy to notice what I'm wearing, I should go to Home Depot. I think that's the moral of this story!

    Jane: I've been amazed at how many people think it's a tattoo at first. I think that's why the Home Depot guys were so impressed.

    Struggler: I sent you an e-mail, but wanted to also say it publicly: THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's long been on my to-do list to figure out how to back-up my blogs. I had no idea it could be so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your overdyed jacket used to be kind of mauve, correct? It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh! LOVE that outfit. Everything goes together so well, but I have to say ... those tights!!! Killer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sallymandy: Yeah, I called it "puke pink." It was sort-of a beigy-pink, very blech.

    Thanks, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh, you have great style! And thanks for your comment on my blog :D

    ReplyDelete